St. Mary's Church of Remsen, Iowa
St. Mary's Church of Remsen is a masterpiece of the neo-Gothic form. Constructed between 1902 and 1904, it brought together the finest church craftsmen of the Midwest:
Architect Guido Beck of Dubuque, Ia.
General contractor Henry Tappendorf of Rock Island, Ill.
RT Giles and Co. art glass of St. Paul, Minn.; Over 2,000 sq. ft. of wall space in 32 leaded stained-glass windows in the church proper, another 45 exterior stained-glass windows for a total of 77.
Altars, confessionals, ambo, and other furnishings of the E. Hackner Co. of LaCrosse, Wisc. (early examples of what was considered the premier altar manufacturer in the world in the first half of the 20th century).
E. Howard Clock Co. (Boston, Chicago) tower clock.
William Schuelke organ, Milwaukee, Wisc.; first tubular pneumatic organ installed in state of Iowa, was present in second SM Church, remains pneumatic to this day, a rarity.
Stuckstede tower bells, St. Louis, Mo.; 800-lb. bell installed in first St. Mary's Church in 1884, 1350-lb. bell installed in second SM Church in 1893. Both bells were installed and are operational in current (third) church.
European influence in the building:
Stations of the Cross hand carved out of wood in the Tyrolean region of Austria (now Ortisei, Italy) and imported in 1911.
Statue of Our Lady of Luxembourg, also hand carved, imported from Luxembourg and one of only 16 such statues known to exist in the United States.
Stations and art glass windows are labeled in German.
The result is an elegant house of prayer of incredible beauty. We invite you to come pray in an atmosphere of peace.
Guided tours are available by contacting Rick Roder;
or 712.786.2015, or by calling the parish rectory at 786-1437.